Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Missing Andy Roddick

Shortly after Andy Roddick announced his retirement at last year's US Open, I wrote a piece for TheFanManifesto.com urging tennis fans to remember Andy fondly and truly be thankful for all that he gave us during his long career.

With the grass court season in full swing and Wimbledon just around the corner, I know that's exactly how I'm remembering him.

Andy had so many fantastic moments on the grass at the All England Club in his career that sometimes I almost forget that his one Grand Slam victory was at the US Open and not Wimbledon.

He made the finals there three times, each time losing to Roger Federer.

The most notable of those losses was the legendary 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-7 (5), 6-3, 14-16 match in 2009. It was in that match that we saw Andy at what was likely his very best. And, as was the case all too often during his matches against Federer, it just wasn't enough.

For those of us that were fans of Roddick right down to the very end, Wimbledon also gave us hope. As the sun began to set on his career, it became more and more apparent that it was the only tournament where he was going to be able to win that elusive second major. His ability to serve on grass masked his deficiencies and gave him a puncher's chance every time out.

With him gone, the tournament will just be different.

For starters, my annual tradition of looking at the Wimbledon draw, finding Andy and trying to dream up a scenario where he could win it all is no longer something I can do.

More than anything, though, I just feel like I no longer have a dog in the fight. I root for John Isner, Sam Querrey and the rest of the Yanks, sure, but it's not the same. Andy was the player that got me into tennis and that fandom just can't be recreated with another player.

I have every intention of watching as much of the tournament as I can, but something will certainly be missing.

Despite his frustrating losses and even more frustrating outbursts, rooting for Andy was what I loved most about tennis and it won't be the same without him.


No comments:

Post a Comment